Skip to content
Kuri Kinton Recipe
- 1 pound satsumaimo sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 jar of kuri-no-kanroni (simmered sweet chestnuts in syrup), 8-12 pieces of chestnuts in syrup
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- optional: 2 dried kuchinashi-no-mi (Cape jasmine seeds), cracked in half, and wrapped in a gauze cloth
- Soak satsumaimo slices in water for about 15 minutes and drain.
- Put satsumaimo in a deep pot and pour enough water to cover them.
- If available, wrap crushed kuchinashi-no-mi in a sheet of gauze and put it in the pot.
- Bring it to a boil on high heat.
- Turn down the heat to medium and simmer until satsumaimo is softened.
- Drain and remove kuchinashi-no-mi.
- Put a strainer over a medium pan and mash boiled satsumaimo through the strainer with a spatula.
- Add sugar in mashed satsumaimo and stir well on low heat.
- Add about 1/4 cup of syrup and stir well.
- Further, add mirin and simmer until smooth.
- Add kuri chestnuts and cook until heated through.